My Chihuahua Ate Chocolate What Do I Do?

If you believe your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately or call the Pet Poison Helpline (855-213-6680) for advice.

What happens if a Chihuahua eats chocolate?

Chocolate contains an ingredient called theobromine (a bit like caffeine), which is toxic to dogs. Symptoms of dog chocolate poisoning include vomiting (which may include blood), diarrhoea, restlessness and hyperactivity, rapid breathing, muscle tension, incoordination, increased heart rate and seizures.

How can I treat my dog at home after eating chocolate?

After your dog eats chocolate: steps to take at home Vetted Pet Care suggests taking only three percent solution of Hydrogen Peroxide (not the concentrated six percent solution) and putting 1ml for every pound of body weight (so 16 ml for 16 pounds), into food or in a dropper to feed her to induce vomiting.

You might be interested:  Quick Answer: How Often To Feed Chihuahua Puppy?

Can my dog survive after eating chocolate?

Yes, chocolate is toxic to dogs. While rarely fatal, chocolate ingestion can result in significant illness. Chocolate is toxic because it contains a chemical called theobromine, as well as caffeine. Dogs cannot metabolize theobromine and caffeine as well as people can.

What can you do for a dog that ate chocolate?

If your pet consumed the chocolate less than two hours ago, your veterinarian may induce vomiting and give him several doses of activated charcoal, which works to move the toxins out of the body without being absorbed into the bloodstream.

Should I make my dog throw up if he ate chocolate?

Even if you don’t see your pet consuming chocolate but find suspicious evidence such as chewed-up candy wrappers, it’s a good idea to get your pet to vomit. It can be dangerous to induce vomiting if the pup acts lethargic or it is otherwise dehydrated or sick.

What if my dog ate chocolate but seems fine?

If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, call your vet right away. Your vet can then tell you what to do. “If your veterinarian confirms chocolate toxicity, they will most likely induce vomiting or administer activated charcoal,” says Dr. Blach.

How long does it take for a dog to recover after eating chocolate?

In the majority of cases, the symptoms occur within a few hours, but it has been known to be delayed for as long as 24 hours. It can take as long as three days for the dog to recover completely.

You might be interested:  FAQ: What Does A Pitbull And Chihuahua Mix Look Like?

What should I do if my dog ate a chocolate chip cookie?

Chocolate poisoning can cause severe symptoms and even death. Monitor your dog closely if she has eaten chocolate chip cookies, and call your vet immediately if you notice signs of chocolate poisoning, including those below.

Should you let your dog drink water after eating chocolate?

If she has an upset stomach, then starve her for 24 hours but allow her access to clean drinking water. If she is overactive, then she should see a vet as this can also affect her heart and possibly cause seizures. Do not make her vomit once it has been over two hours since the suspected chocolate ingestion.

How much chocolate kills a small dog?

While this depends on the type of chocolate, it can take only 0.3 ounces of concentrated chocolate per pound of body weight to kill a dog. Milder types of chocolates vary from 0.5 to 2 ounces. This is because chocolates contain theobromine, which is a lethal chemical for dogs.

What home remedy can I give my dog for poisoning?

A professional may ask you to induce vomiting at home with hydrogen peroxide. For this reason, you should try to always keep an unopened, non-expired bottle of hydrogen peroxide in your home (old hydrogen peroxide will not usually work). You will give the hydrogen peroxide to your dog by mouth.

What do vets do if dogs eat chocolate?

The most common way vets treat chocolate poisoning is to use fluids and IV drugs, he says. For example, they’ll use a drug called apomorphine to force vomiting, stomach pumping to flush the stomach with fluids, and medicine called activated charcoal to prevent the chocolate from getting into your dog’s blood.

You might be interested:  How To Discipline A Chihuahua?

What are the chances of a dog dying from eating chocolate?

Thankfully, it is rare for a dog to die from chocolate poisoning. According to the Veterinary Poisons Information Service, out of 1,000 chocolate toxicity cases it recorded on its database, only five dogs died.

How much chocolate is toxic for dogs?

Dog owners often ask how much chocolate can kill a dog. While there is no right or wrong answer to this, we know dogs show symptoms of poisoning when they eat 20mg of theobromine (the toxic chemical in chocolate) for every kilogram they weigh. These symptoms become severe at 40 to 50mg per kg. 4

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *