How to Care for Long Hair Chihuahuas
- Take your purse-sized pup to see the veterinarian on a regular schedule to keep up-to-date on his vaccinations.
- Feed your long-hair a high-quality dog food.
- Keep your long-hair clean.
- Keep your long-hair safe.
- Give your long-hair lots of opportunity to play.
- 1 Are long haired Chihuahuas high maintenance?
- 2 What do long haired Chihuahuas like to do?
- 3 Do long haired Chihuahuas need to be groomed?
- 4 What to know before getting a long haired Chihuahua?
- 5 Are Chihuahuas easy to potty train?
- 6 Do Chihuahuas like to be held?
- 7 Do long haired chihuahuas bark?
- 8 Do long haired chihuahuas get cold?
- 9 Do chihuahuas bark a lot?
- 10 How often do long haired Chihuahuas need a bath?
- 11 How often should you bathe a Chihuahua?
- 12 How many years do Chihuahuas live?
- 13 Do Chihuahuas need to be in pairs?
- 14 How long do long haired Chihuahuas live?
Are long haired Chihuahuas high maintenance?
About the Long Hair Chihuahua Due to the longer hair, this type of Chihuahua will require a little more grooming than their short-hair relatives. We recommend you brush your long haired Chihuahua at least once a week, but daily maintenance is even better!
What do long haired Chihuahuas like to do?
A Long Haired Chihuahua will love to be active and is always up for playing. Their little legs mean they may be fully exercised from just following their human around all day, but, this is no substitute for a walk. Try to walk your dog for around half an hour each day, split into two smaller walks.
Do long haired Chihuahuas need to be groomed?
Despite its appearance, the long-haired Chihuahua does not require an abundance of grooming to keep it looking clean and healthy. This little dog sheds year-round, with heavier hair loss in spring and fall. Regular brushing and baths will help reduce the amount of hair you find around your home.
What to know before getting a long haired Chihuahua?
- They are very protective and are mighty little warriors.
- Chis like to lick.
- Chis love to snuggle.
- They can be a bully to other pets in your home, no matter how big those pets are.
- Chihuahuas are very smart, but stubborn little dogs.
- They can be sneaky.
- Chis tend to be needy and crave a lot of attention.
Are Chihuahuas easy to potty train?
Some say that Chihuahuas are notoriously hard to potty train. However, this is not true, as they are actually very smart and trainable. The biggest difficulty with house training Chihuahuas is their small size, which can make it difficult to spot when they are scooping down to go to the bathroom.
Do Chihuahuas like to be held?
Tiny in size but large in spirit, the Chihuahua is one of those highly evolved breeds that has managed to convince most humans that it should be carried around everywhere. However most Chihuahuas are very affectionate anyhow and prefer cuddling close to their humans.
Do long haired chihuahuas bark?
Long Haired Chihuahua Personality and Temperament If they are bored or become frustrated, they tend to get even more hyper. They have a very expressive personality and they want to be heard. When they do bark, you may be caught off guard the first couple of times. For their size, the bark is pretty loud.
Do long haired chihuahuas get cold?
LONG HAIRED CHIHUAHUAS GET COLD EASILY They originated in a hot climate, after all. Long haired chihuahuas, being very small, lose body heat more easily than bigger pets. Don’t keep your long haired chihuahua outside for too long on a cold day, and watch her closely to make sure she isn’t shivering.
Do chihuahuas bark a lot?
Chihuahuas are known to be fiercely territorial and protective. They will often bark constantly at anyone they perceive as a potential threat, and to them, that could be almost any stranger in your home, even friends of yours. Another common cause of barking is simple separation anxiety.
How often do long haired Chihuahuas need a bath?
The most important aspect of grooming for a long haired Chihuahua is cleanliness, and the ASPCA recommends bathing your pet at least every three months. Chihuahuas are often indoor dogs, but if they sleep in your bed or travel in cars regularly, you may want to wash them more frequently.
How often should you bathe a Chihuahua?
The Chihuahua does require regular bathing and brushing. This self-confident little dog can be bathed as frequently as every week up to no longer than 6 weeks, depending on lifestyle and activity level. Somewhere in between is a happy medium.
How many years do Chihuahuas live?
Prone to health issues As with many purebred pups, Chihuahuas are prone to some breed-specific health issues. These can include epilepsy, mitral valve disease, and patella luxation. If you are getting your puppy from a breeder, they should be testing the health of both parents and the puppies as appropriate.
Do Chihuahuas need to be in pairs?
Having more than one chihuahua is generally better for the dogs. But beware, chihuahuas don’t always get on with other breeds. They are known for their preference for a chihuahua based pack.
How long do long haired Chihuahuas live?
The lifespan of a long-hair chihuahua is of about 14 to 20 years. However, if the dog is not well cared for, he may not live up to 14 years, and with proper care, he may even exceed 20 years.